Monday, March 5, 2018

SCMotW: Dan Reyes

Dan Reyes (M1) is one of the members of Communications steering committee. Dan is incredibly kind and funny, and I am glad for everyone in Promise Clinic AND our patients that we have him! Big loss for California, but big gain for New Jersey, I say!

Dan has 2 brothers, 2 sisters-in-law, and a beautiful 1-year-old nephew. When he's not in class or in the planes, you can find him at Werblin Rec Center swimming. Dan says it is the most beautiful pool in New Jersey and it's only a 10 minute walk from our building!

I'm a tiny bit late with my Olympic-themed questions, but read on to find out more about Dan...

Dan Reyes (M1), Communications

1) If you could be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you want to compete in? 

Dan: I would be either a water polo athlete (preferred) or swimmer. I've been competing in both sports for a long time and thankfully, I can still find time to do both in med school. I've always found water polo more fun, but unfortunately it's not as common here in New Jersey.

2) Which is better--summer or winter and why? 

Dan: Each season has its perks. I love the snow, especially when it is freshly fallen and all fluffy. But as a native Californian who never really had to ponder this question, summer is definitely my favorite. This is simply because you can go outside and do things in the summer like cycling, hiking, and walking. These are things I used to do all year before I moved to New Jersey. 

3) Who is/are your hero(es)? 

Dan: My heroes...I had to think about this one for a while. My answer is cliche, but cliches are such because they are true for a lot of people and that's certainly the case for me here: my parents and Barack Obama. My parents showed me how to be successful in life, prepared me for its harsh realities, and taught me to how to appreciate everyone, no matter our differences. President Obama inspired a generation of young people to be better citizens and to work together to enact the change they wanted. He showed us how to love each other and to celebrate our diversity as a nation. I have used and continue to use these approaches everyday whether it was dealing with students when I was teaching or with patients now.

No comments:

Post a Comment