Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Alumnus Highlight: Paawan Punjabi

Paawan Punjabi (Center), 2014
Name: Paawan Punjabi
Class Year:
2014

Role at Promise Clinic: First Year Rep,  Operations, Student Doctor. 

What did you do after graduating? 
Internal Medicine Residency at Beth Israel
What are you currently doing?

Still currently in residency, interviewing for attending positions.
 


How has Promise Clinic influenced your clinical training?
I really got interested in population health management stuff and wondering about how one better serves the entire population of people. Harvard School of Health Policy is really interested in how we treat patients as they transition from inpatient to to outpatient care, and that's something I'm interested in too.


I think the thing I enjoyed most about Promise Clinic was the way it specialized its teaching. Everyone was at a different level and it was really applicable to being a resident in how we convey information. There's no other place where you can get that sort of clinical exposure as a med student. It's a cool opportunity because you can watch yourself progress.

In general, working with Promise Clinic reminds you that there are organizations trying to do good for the community. It's a tremendous opportunity to learn, and after trying so hard to develop and implement effective programs at Clinic you realize you actually can do it and that you can do it on a larger scale. It's a very grounding experience.



How would you like to see Promise Clinic grow?
When I was there it was my hope that we could provide a new service for the uninsured, but that might look different now because of the new presidency. With this political climate, it's a distinct possibility that Promise Clinic will have to take on new patients-- so literal physical growth might be necessary. When I was there for the beginning of the ACA, we had to shift our focus from uninsured patients to undocumented and migrant workers; our population base was shifting. Whatever the change now, it will be Promise Clinic's role to step up in terms of physical growth. 

I think one of the exciting things I saw in my time was Robert Wood Johnson's merger with Rutgers. At the time I was curious to see how leveraging some of the new institutional ties could be used to build a sustainable funding source.

Do you have any advice for our Student Doctors?
I think the biggest thing would be using your team as much as possible. I got such valuable clinical instructions while also getting advice on how to navigate medical school or the residency matching process. I don't know of another institution that has the opportunity to do this much inter-year mingling. If I was an M1 I would try to get to know my upperclassmen as much as I could because it gives you insight into where your career could go.

I think fourth years should try to maintain the optimism because it's easy to get jaded in residency. if you  can stay grounded in a mission and serving a population like Promise Clinic it will remind you that what we do is a privilege; it will help you survive.  

There are different challenges in med school as compared to residency; I thought I knew some stuff but also knew I had theoretical gaps. Then all of a sudden it's a whole different ball game because you're in a hospital and you're putting in orders for patients. It gets a whole lot more real and the hours get worse. I think if you can keep a tiny sliver of optimism and stay grounded in your experience it would be helpful.


Any other comments?

I'm just thankful for the opportunity to work at Promise Clinic. It was one of the more formative med school experiences for me; I'm happy it continues and survives in such a robust way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment